Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Old School

ellipses
by Ambition Recliner
Share and vote on music
Fandalism Music Community


Back in my high school days, my good friend Eric Scott (a.k.a Czahr - not to be confused with a czar or a zahr) and I would occasionally hole up in his basement with ice cold Coke and a scissor cut pizza and proceed to make crazy recordings on his cassette 4-track.

This hollowed tradition continued into our college years. Czahr and I got together annually and re-visited our process. Despite the fact that I resided in the alcohol soaked tundra of Fargo/Moorhead and he called the St. Cloud (and eventually twin cities metro) area home, we managed to re-connect over some form of imported beer and recorded songs on his newer and better 4-track.

Now Czahr and I are old, married, and slower than we once were. We can't stay up as late as we used to back in the "good old days." but now we have technology. It's nothing fancy mind you, but we have basic multi-track recording available to us finally, and it's a lot of fucking fun.

We get together once a week and lay down a track in a few hours. It is what it is. It's not meant to be a completed song or a fully realized idea necessarily. Sometimes it is. Other times it's just a great beginning. Either way, I can't think of anything I enjoy more than being able to create music with one of my best and oldest friends.

This is a song of Eric's to which I added a very crude initial idea. I wanted to post this, because I really like Eric's song. This is simply the result of one quick evening, but there will be more to come.

1 comment:

czahr said...

Ahhh....ice cold Coke and scissor-cut pizza in the basement with the Crippler. Thems were the days!