Saturday, January 19, 2008

I Can't Post Music

So I've been posting music using this service called "Fandalism," which is supposed to be like a "You Tube" for music. It allow users to upload their own music and provides html code that you can put into your blog or website. As of late, this "Fandalism" website has not been functioning, so I have been unable to post any of my tunes. I will find another solution eventually.

In lieu of any new tunes, I figured that I might as well at least talk about music. The other night I experienced something notable to write about, the Bon Iver show at the Turf Club. All the hype aside, it was honestly one of the best show experiences I have had in a long time.

I first heard about Bon Iver a while back from my homie Jay Peterson. Jay's one of those guys (not that you all don't know him) who always seems to have the inside track on the best new music. He's the guy who first turned me onto Beirut, which is one of my favorite bands, and he never fails to deliver the goods. So when he told me about this Bon Iver character, I assumed it was good. I think he offered to burn me a copy, but I never got around to getting it from him.

Eventually I heard old Mr. Iver (yes, I know that's not his real name - I'm being funny), either through Jay or Bolsch or one of the bros. It was right up my alley: earnest but not hoakey, minimal but not sparse, intense but not over-done. Most of all, I liked his voice. He sang in falsetto with strength. It wasn't light and weak but haunting.

As time passed Pitchfork gave the Bon Iver album a favorable review, and the Current started playing him. I started hearing him a lot and hearing about him a lot. So when I heard that he was going to play a show at the Turf Club, our local stomping ground, I knew that it would be a rare opportunity to witness something cool before the shit really hit the fan.

Sure enough, when the day of the show rolled around I heard that it had already sold-out. This was unbelievable, because they never pre-sell tickets for the Turf. It's a local bar venue! Anyway, I was covered because I was going with Tom Kemmer. He works there occasionally (I use that word very loosely), but mostly has just befriended the entire staff. We pulled up to see a line of people standing at the door that stretched down the block. That's crazy enough, but keep in mind that this is January in Minnesota and it's fucking 10 below zero outside! Not to worry, Kemmer and I walk right past the crowd and right into the front. We didn't ever have to buy a ticket! You've gotta love getting hooked up.

Hook-up aside, the show was sweet. Two things stick out in my memory that really impressed me. When Bon Iver was about to begin his set, a hush fell over the capacity packed Turf Club. I've never seen that happen, and I've been to 4,879,543 shows there. Kemmer's been to close to 10 million shows there, and he hasn't witnessed it either.

The other thing that was crazy was the fact that he effectively pulled off a sing along. When he performed his song "The Wolves Act I and II," he prompted the crowd to sing a specific part later on in the song. I grew concerned. The old "sing this with me" schtick always fails, at least at the shows I've seen. A few die hards sing their guts out and look like dumb asses, while the rest of the venue looks on in disgust. This time it worked. Once Bon got to the appropriate section of the song, the Turf erupted into a chorus. It wasn't quite a bar full of drunken Irishmen bellowing along with "O' Danny Boy," but it was widespread and moving. People were so engaged by what he was playing that they actually wanted to take part in it more than they worried about what the folks around them would think.

Well, it's not like Bon Iver needs any help in the hype department, but the show was awesome. I fully recommend him, if you like that kind of thing.

1 comment:

Clay said...

Damn right. He is good to the max.
Haven't seen him but I would like to!